Sunday, April 12, 2009

Vegas with kids

Of course I knew what it would be like, so my complaints are absurd. I stuck a day in Las Vegas onto our Death Valley trip simply to pander to my children, offering fake pyramids, temples, castles, cities, and islands to entice them to accept my own interest in a real desert.

During our one-day, catch-every-sight-that's-free trek up the Strip, my 7-year-old daughter was entranced by The Sirens of TI, an unabashedly cheesecake spectacle combining shirtless pirates with dancing women in fancy bikinis. And they're not doing a quadrille, mind you.

The pirates fire cannons and plunge dramatically from the riggings, the sirens summon hurricanes with lightning and fog, the ships catch fire and sink... Actually, it's pretty cool for a free show.

Bailey asked, "Why do girls always win?" because she's six and that's what she sees in modern kids' movies and books. In some weird and creepy turnaround, I had to reply, "Well, they don't always win in real life," wondering how to explain that sex appeal is one of the lousier powers on which to depend. It looks pretty potent in Vegas.

And my 11-year-old daughter was much quieter, on the verge of adolescence and absorbing commercial values and messages like a sea sponge.

While I know they have to live in this world, and that they'll cope one way or another with the deranged values of this commercial, anti-human culture, sometimes I dream of pulling a Grizzly Adams and just stealing them away from it all.

Or perhaps I could start by just avoiding the obvious pits of despair...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Why do girls always win?" Wow. A question like that coming from a six-year-old...Optimistic Andrea wants to say that's an incredible turn of events in the right direction. I mentioned in one of my posts having lived in a town so saturated with gung-ho often militant feminism - Northampton, MA. When I started to get itchy to move, part of my rationale was the feeling that - as nice and PC and cozy as everything was about that community, it wasn't 'real'. I began to see those people as living in sort of a bubble of their own creation. A nice bubble, sure, but what kind of culture shock (on exiting said bubble) would my imaginary future children suffer if raised there?

aclossen said...

I think it's pretty awesome that she noticed "girls always win." That sort of thought, instead of just taking it for granted, might stand to lighten your fears a bit... :)

irvaxmiller said...

I'm with you about Vegas. Get me into the desert of out of Sin City. I love the wide open spaces, the prickly vegetation, and the spectacular sunsets.

Your daughter is observant and smart. Six-year-olds seem so much more sophisticated these days then when I was six.

sbs_79 said...

I've never been to Vegas, but it sounds like it was enjoyable for the children. As for girls always winning, I think that "they don't always win in real life" was a good response. (I'd be hard-pressed to think of anyone who wins all the time!)